GIS/Python Specialist - (Bedford, NS)
VistaCare Communications is a leading technology solutions provider for a wide range of businesses and organizations. We are currently seeking a GIS/Python Specialist to join our operations in a permanent, full-time position based out of our head office in Bedford, NS (With the option to work remotely).
The GIS/Python Specialist works on the GIS/Database Management team to support the design and construction (both aerial and underground) of telecommunication networks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage, setup, and maintain GIS databases using Postgres, QGIS, and PostGIS;
- Build new tools/plugins using Python in the GIS databases as required;
- Update existing tool/plugins written in Python to adapt to different scenarios;
- Provide support for other members in using GIS and Python scripts;
- Provide training and developing guides for using GIS and Python scripts/plugins;
- Provide support for other members for issues related to the GIS databases;
- Setup task specific project files in QGIS;
- Develop, define and produce optimum fibre designs for proposed telecommunications networks;
- Format layout and design of the telecommunication network elements in accordance with the network design criteria;
- Create underground and aerial conduit plans, being careful to incorporate safety measures into all aspects of designs and subsequent posting to client’s systems;
- Collect data from route or site visits of any surface features and underground utility data necessary to support preparation of construction drawings where required;
- Analyze and design various project requests directly from customer request stage to the build and / or modify outside plant infrastructure for both commercial and residential locations;
- Perform right-of-way and route assessments to confirm the route corridor is acceptable and cost-effective;
- Read and interpret fibre network design drawings, and outside plant records (data, maps);
- Collaborate with other divisional teams to overcome project challenges and provide optimal solutions.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Detailed knowledge of Postgres (SQL), PostGIS, QGIS, and Python
- Previous experience of Python Development
- Ability to understand needs and write Python tools to fill these needs
- Detail-oriented with good organizational and time-management skills;
- Must be able to prioritize as needed, in a deadline-driven environment;
- Capability to accommodate the different telecommunications standards established for each client;
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and drawings;
- Working knowledge of CAD software;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- General understanding of construction documents, drawings, and specifications;
- Knowledge of current construction practices is considered an asset;
- Highly analytical and proven problem-solving abilities.
- 0 – 3 years experience with Python Development
- 0 – 3 years experience with Postgres (SQL), PostGIS, and QGIS or equivalent
- 0 – 3 years experience in Telecommunications or Fibre to the Home design
- Valid driver’s license and reasonable driver abstract;
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal record check;
- Occasional travel may be required to conduct site visits and field detailing, where the project dictates.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience and skill level;
- 50% employer-paid comprehensive group benefits (health, dental, vision, insurance);
- Group Life Insurance;
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP);
- Employee Referral Program;
- Free on-site parking at head office;
- Company discounts;
- Paid work travel/Accommodations and Per Diem;
- Paid training;
- Company-Matched RRSP.