Fibre Optic Splicer - Ottawa
VistaCare Communications is a leading technology infrastructure solutions provider for a wide range of businesses and organizations. We are currently seeking Fibre Optic Splicing Technicians to join our Ontario operations for permanent, full-time positions. Fibre Optic Technicians are involved in all facets of fibre splicing including cable preparation, termination, fusion-splicing, testing and troubleshooting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Splicing Aerial and Buried Fibre Optic Networks;
- Testing, and troubleshooting of Fibre Optic networks;
- Documenting and reporting on work completed;
- Maintaining project and safety documentation;
- Ensuring all work is clearly labelled.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Able to work in team environment;
- Demonstrated Ability to Working at heights;
- Strong manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination;
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, confined spaces, isolation;
- Ability to work in a physically demanding atmosphere;
- Carry, raise and climb a ladder;
- Carry, lift and handle heavy equipment (manhole covers, cable reels);
- Self-disciplined, self-motivated and organized.
- Previous Outside Plant Fiber Optic telecommunications experience is considered an asset;
- Single Fibre Splicing and Mass Fusion Splicing of outside plant fibre networks;
- Experience using fibre optic testing tools such as Power meter, OTDR and Live Fiber Detectors;
- Preference given to those with additional experience or FTTX / FTTH project experience;
- Working knowledge of the safe limits of approach in communication space.
- Valid driver’s license with clean driver abstract;
- Willingness to work overtime, weekends, or on emergency call outs as required;
- Willingness to travel;
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal record check.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive compensation based on experience and skill level;
- 50% employer paid comprehensive group benefits (health, dental, vision, insurance);
- Group Life Insurance;
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP);
- Employee Referral Program;
- Free on-site parking;
- Company discounts;
- Paid work travel/Accommodations and Per Diem;
- Paid Training;
- Company-Matched RRSP.